Have you ever had one of those days when you’re feeling so exhausted that you just don’t know how you’re going to trudge through your work day? It happens to the best of us. In these days of hectic schedules, extra long work hours, and information overload, physical and mental fatigue are common place. You are bound to have those days here and there.
There are many things that contribute to mid-week exhaustion. Lack of sleep, too much screen time, being overworked, and inadequate diet are all things that can contribute to fatigue. When exhaustion hits, there are some things you can do to help you through it until you can get home to get some rest. Check out these quick fixes:
- Sip on some green tea. Instead of instinctually reaching for another cup of coffee, try some green tea instead. Coffee may give you that jolt of caffeine that you need, but often times it will leave you feeling jittery and restless, especially when you are already feeling sleep-deprived. Green tea has just enough caffeine to give you a a little boost without making you feel nuts. Plus, it is loaded with antioxidants, which can’t hurt when your body is need of a little tlc!
- Try one of these energy boosting snacks:
- Fresh fruit. Vitamins, minerals, and good carbs! What more can you ask for?
- A handful of almonds. These bad boys are full of good fats, omega 3s and Vitamin E. They’ll help you to feel full for longer due to their fiber-rich goodness, too!
- Yogurt and cereal. Yogurt will give you some carbs and protein, and a good fiber rich cereal will leave you feeling satisfied!
- Half of a turkey and cheddar sandwich. Swap out white bread for whole wheat, swap out the mayo for some mustard or guacamole, add some lettuce and tomato slices and you’re good to go!
- Limber up. Stand up, stretch out and loosen up all of that tension. If you can, go for a brisk walk on your break to get your blood flowing and that should definitely wake you up a bit!
- Eat up. Eat a healthy, wholesome lunch. When we’re tired, we tend to want to eat salty, greasy crapola for some reason. However, these are the times that your body needs nourishment the most. You know if you order that pizza or that steak and cheese sub that you’re going to need a nap even more. Eat something with some nutritional value and your body and mind will thank you!
- Switch things up. If you’ve been sitting at your desk in front of your computer all day long, it is very likely that you are going to become bored and mentally exhausted! Get up and take a stroll to the break room. Run an errand for your boss. Go out to lunch with a coworker. A change of scenery can do wonders for your spirits, your creativity and your productivity! Taking a short break will allow you to come back to your work with a fresh perspective and a new attitude.
- If all else fails, take a catnap. If nothing else is working and you have reached a point of complete and utter exhaustion, take a 15-20 minute nap on your break. Once you get to the point of being ridiculously tired, your work is going to suffer. You won’t be able to get any quality work done because you won’t be able to focus. Set your alarm for 15-20 minutes and take a quick snooze. Hopefully you’ll wake up feeling refreshed. Then, grab a cup of tea or a smoothie and get back at it!
We all have those days when we feel burnt out and it becomes a struggle to make it through the work day. If you keep these tips in mind, you’ll be able to keep yourself energized long enough until you can catch up on your rest and be back to your best self!
Learn about the team and career opportunities at Suttle and King by vising our website.